When you have a room with strong symmetry, lots of natural light streaming in through glass doors and a lush view of the back yard, you can’t help but pop in an eye-catching chandelier and indoor plants to connect the indoors to the outdoors. Take a good look at the “before” photo below because this dining room is going from drab to bright and bubbly. Speaking of bubbles, did I mention I’m reinstalling the DIY glass bubble light fixture I made five years ago? It’s been boxed up for the past four years while I moved between apartments and cities. I’m SO excited that I saved it (thanks dad for boxing it up so carefully!) and now it has a happy new home. The glass chandelier makes a statement in itself but doesn’t compete with the large gallery wall (which I will be revealing in the next post!). I brought in subtle contrast to the room by painting the french doors a cool gray color. Various species of indoor plants add texture and a healthy dose of green color while tying this room in with the outdoor view of the yard. The natural wood bar stools bring in another earthy color and texture, as well as being very affordable at $30 per stool! The high contrast black and white striped rug was the last piece of the puzzle. That rug is currently in our living room so I still have to confirm how it’ll actually look in the dining room but I really like how it looks in this collage with the other items.
I’m in looove with how this DIY piece turned out! I was inspired by an image I saw months ago of pressed flowers with their roots intact. As a child I learned how to press flowers inside big heavy books so this was quite the nostalgic DIY project. I picked this fern from our back yard, washed it, dried it and laid it flat between several sheets of paper with about a dozen books stacked on top to “press” the fern. I left it this way for two months so that all the moisture could evaporate and the newly dried fern could be applied to a background. The frame is from IKEA and I custom cut a white mat board to fit inside. The last step was to *CAREFULLY* apply the fragile dried fern to the mat board with Mod-Podge. Take a look below at what this fern looked like before it became a piece of art on our walls.
The dining room is now 90% complete and all we have left are a few finishing touches and a photo session by Greg. The final reveal is up next!